The driver reported to the police after a girl trying to feed her ponies was shocked by an electric fence
A rider was surprised to learn that the parents of a child who received an electric shock from their fence had reported her to the police – while she was leaning over to feed her pony.
Elizabeth Haslam told H&H her daughter called from inside the house to say the police were on the door but when she came back they had left. While she was reviewing CCTV camera footage confirming the officer’s visit, her partner called and said he had parked a police car there.
“My partner had seen a lot of police cars at a gas station and we thought there might have been a robbery and they were looking for witnesses,” she said. “He called various police stations and eventually they said a child got an electric shock on the fence. We didn’t even know this had happened. “
Elizabeth said she has been fencing with a warning sign for 20 years to keep the horses inside and prevent them from chewing the wooden fence. It’s on the inside of the fence along a trail that goes past their field.
“I couldn’t believe it when I heard someone reported this,” she said. “The electric fence went down last spring and I hurried to get a new one because all the food was thrown in the field. Sprout shells and everything. I even saw a man and his child pulling up daffodils and throwing them in.
“I had to ask another lady not to feed the horses because she had chopped up a bag of vegetables and she was confused. What has happened since then is heartbreaking with reports of ponies dying from being fed.
“But for someone to go to the police about me – I would like to go to court.”
“The lightning gave me the impetus to get out of my wheelchair and walk again. I will always go with one
Credit: Alamy Stock Photo
“I get it; People have nothing to do and find it nice to feed the pony, however
If you want to keep up with the latest in the equestrian world without leaving your home, get an H&H subscription
The pony kept in this field is a Shetland on a carefully controlled diet, Elizabeth said, adding, “It’s bad enough to do it, let alone complain that everything went wrong. That is a real claim. “
Elizabeth was then told that the matter had been referred to her local council’s environmental health team. She understands that the affected child suffered an armpit fire when they leaned over the fence.
“That mentality has to stop that you didn’t do anything wrong and it’s my fault,” she said. “She shouldn’t have been on the property or climbing my fence. I am the one who runs my own business, but I could be done for it. “
A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police Department told H&H that they had reviewed the log and that it was “not a police matter” but refused to comment. The Bury Council said that if the agency had received a referral from the police or a complaint, “this could lead to an investigation and therefore we would not be able to discuss any elements of a complaint”.
Horse & Hound magazine appears every Thursday with the latest news and reports as well as interviews, specials, nostalgia, veterinary and training advice. Find out how to enjoy the magazine delivered to your doorstep weekly, as well as options to upgrade to access our H&H Plus online service, which brings you the latest news and other benefits.
Comments are closed.