Bill Collentine Ltd .;
Plumbing Services – Bed & Breakfast – City Council – Mayor of Mullingar!
Bill Collentine is a man of many talents and one who often has to wear lots of hats. Not only does he run his very successful plumbing business (now 41 years old) with his son Willie, he also runs the Railway House Bed & Breakfast with his wife Teresa, he is actively involved in Mullingar Tidy Towns, he is a Fianna Fail councilor and he is currently the mayor of Mullingar!
Topic caught up with Bill and his son Willie to learn more about how it all started.
1. When was the company founded and were previous generations involved? The business started around 1980 when Bill returned from Canada. Several family members and cousins were involved at the time it opened.
2. Did the family live in Mullingar for many years / where did they come from?
Bill and his family came from an area outside of Mullingar Town called Russellstown.
3. Who are the family members now working in the business?
Bill and his son Willie run the plumbing business and his wife Teresa keeps the bed and breakfast in order. Bill currently has two sons in Canada, both plumbers who have been with the company for some time but moved to Canada when the recession hit.
4. What is the business doing?
Bill Collentine Plumbing is approved by the SEAI and provides all services related to industrial and commercial heating and plumbing, renewable energy solutions, geothermal solutions, heat pump installation, solar panels, water treatment, water filters, boiler replacement and maintenance, stove installation, replacement of Oil tanks, bathroom suite replacement, including provision of handicapped accessible bathrooms, upgrading and replacement of gas boilers, as well as gas firefighters, heating systems for solid fuel, installations of wood pallet stoves, installation of wet rooms (less disabled bathrooms), installation of wheelchair ramps and not to mention maintenance and repair and the replacement of the oil boiler. They also offer home plumbing and heating systems with the latest system technology, as well as general maintenance services.
5. How has the business changed over the years?
Willie tells us that while they offer the same professional services all year round, the regulations have changed over the years and now everything is more focused on energy efficiency. Things like underfloor heating, solar panels, and geothermal heating systems are a big change from traditional plumbing.
6. Future plans?
Aside from Willie’s big plans to win the lottery, there aren’t any major changes in the pipeline right now, Willie says!
7. Any memorable moments over the years?
“Every day is unforgettable,” laughs Bill!
8. How do you think your family business adds something special to Mullingar?
Willie proudly speaks of the fact that his family businesses provide the town with a lifeline, are involved in so much, and are always on hand to help when needed. He believes that family businesses know their customers and that they are very satisfied when they offer the locals what they want.
9. Advantages and disadvantages of working with the family in a company?
Neither Bill nor Willie have any problems working with each other. Bill states that there is of course some disagreement, mainly because Willie is from a different generation, but other than that, family work is good and he enjoys it.
10. The Final Word: Bill and Willie would like to take this opportunity to thank their employees and all customers in the Mullingar area who have continued their habits, particularly Collentine Plumbers. They are grateful for all the business they have received and encourage people to contact them anytime they need installation assistance: Office: 044 9341142 / Mobile: 086 2459216 / [email protected]
Comments are closed.